Thursday, January 22, 2015

Day Three: January 9, 2015

Patricia's Blog
Mayan Center
Waking up to a beautiful morning in the Mayan Center, we enjoyed our last breakfast before we head out for our 6 mile walk to BFREE. We took our last moments to use up the wifi because we knew that going into the forest we will not have access to contacting our loves ones as much as we like. After breakfast Ernesto took us into his wife garden and gave us a demonstration on how a traditional Mayan Thatch roof construction. It just wonderful to see how one can create a roof without the use of any tools, your only tool is your hands and knowledge. I did my very best to stay concentrated on the demonstration, however the flies were all over me and I was repeatedly trying to get them away from me. 
Once Ernesto finished with us, since he had to leave for another group, Aurora came along and gave us a tour of her garden. Her garden is filled with different plants and trees and for each one she told us what she used it for and how good this particular leave can help one's health, etc. The beauty and the information given to us by Aurora really shows how we shouldn't take for granted the beauty of nature because everything has a purpose and, for us, living in the city, we tend to forget how precious nature really is. Sadly, it was time to leave the Mayan Center, say goodbye to the beloved Aurora (by the way she gave me a reading and a healing. She noticed that my past I was going thru a depression and that I needed to let people into my life and not be isolate the people who care for me. I took everything she has told me and gave me to heart. Even making my favorite earrings as a good luck charm for myself). 
Black Orchid Flower
Back into the car we go off to our next adventure which was getting ready for our 6 mile walk to BFREE. I must say I was excited about the walk until I actually started the walk. Here's what went down. We arrived at the lumber mill with our luggage. We put our luggage into a small jeep that was heading to BFREE and be left near our rooms. So we all had our potty break, water bottles in hand, our hats on, we were ready to go. After about 15 minutes into the walk it started to rain on us. The rain came down super hard and the trail was all muddy with ankle deep puddles. To be honest, I was the slowest out of everyone because I get tense up, in my mind I was thinking "I must not fall, take your time, forget everyone else". This walk really took its toll on my feet. My new boots had mud pilling underneath and water squishing away inside. 
Bunk House
Thankfully by the time we were half way, the rain stopped and we had to sign in stating we are going into BFREE territory.  My heart was pounding, but I still had to keep going, a little over 3 miles left until our destination. Again I took my time because I was feeling blisters were being created on my feet (OUCH). Walking along a muddy, slippery, and rough trail all was good, until finally I see the BFREE station on the other side of the river. Then I was thinking, "How the hell we getting over there?" I wasn't shocked when we had to actually walk across the river. So I asked my friend Walkiria to hold my hand because I couldn't keep my balance walking across a rock filled river on my own. Feet are throbbing and hurting but finally I made it to the other side and was so happy to see our bunk house. Finally a dry shelter. 
We carried our luggage up the stairs and decided which bed was going to who and changed into some dry clothes, went down stair and hang our wet clothes on the line. Then we headed to the dining hall to hang out and relax a bit. We met some staff members and Jacob who is in charged of everything in BFREE. We started to chat about the potential project ideas, which consist of the following: Observation Tower, Dining-Kitchen Hall, Educational Building, and Cacao Farm layout. A delicious dinner was served at 6:30 pm and we just started talking about the days ahead of us while we are in BFREE and what the projects will be about. Off to bed we go, until it stopped raining. 


The Legend of Walkiria's Bag


Day 3 consisted of Ernesto's lecture the night before about Thatch roof and how construction has been built till this very day. First, we had a tasty breakfast. Food is always a good time. After breakfast, I went to Aurora and asked her to tell me my fortune. She told me some amazing things that I loved hearing about my families and friends. After I had my session with Aurora we all gathered our stuff so that they can be loaded on the car cause in a few minutes we would be on our way to BFree. 
Ernesto was showing us the leaf that was used to construct the roof of his house as well as other facilities in the Maya Center. The Leaf that he is showing us in the photo on the right is the Bay leaf. It is a very strong leaf and suitable for a strong shelter. He told us the process in how to assemble the roof and what side needs to be facing the sky as a opposed to the ground. Another type of roofing that is used is Cahune, although it's known that Bay leaves are a stronger system. 
This is a demo version of the assembly 
of thatch architecture








 The picture on the left Ernesto is showing us how the leaf must be cut straight down the middle and faced with the inner edges facing  the sky. The roof needs to be well layered and tied well in order to withstand a well structured roof. After Ernesto gave us his introduction to Thatch roofing Aurora showed us her garden. In her garden there were some amazing things like that local mayans and people from way back when weren't even born, people have used plants and trees to survive. It was fascinating to hear about what plants and flowers can do for you. After Aurora's tour of the garden out things were already loaded in the car and so we said our finals goodbye to Ernesto and Aurora and thanked them for all that they've taught us and the hospitality that they gave us. It was really a pleasure to have gotten to know Ernesto and Aurora Saqui they were really great people full of knowledge and history that was just amazing to hear. I could even blink from how interested I was in what they were saying. 




We get in the car and we drive to Independence where (FINALLY) my bag has reached. We get into the water taxi station. I get out of the car with Felipe and he asked them if his daughter brought in a bag yesterday. They went to the back to go check it for it. Seconds later, a man comes out with my bag. I was happy ! It was in one piece the adventures this bag had alone was crazy. I open the bag to check if everything is in there and it was. We put the bag in the car and drove off. We are on our way to BFree.. Where is BFree exactly, you would think it's close but no necessarily. In 5 Minutes you'll get there if you get driven but if you're walking it's a maximum of 2 hrs. Although, it took us a little more than 2 hours because we (Lia, Canti, Danielle, Baljnder, Patricia, and myself) got caught in the rain. So we had a very wet and muddy adventure getting to BFree. But that's okay because it was all part of the experience. Seeing the beautiful Savanna and the animal tracks was interesting, we saw mountains in the far distance it was a wonderful sight. 


 It was a six mile hike through the savanna and when we were a little less than half way I would say it started drizzling and as the clouds moved the rain got harder. Next thing you know were walking on water (How did Jesus do it?) Mud was piling up on the heel of our shoes, our socks were soaked and everything was wet. I wondered when would this rain stop at one point I ignored the rain and hope that eventually it'll stop without me noticing. We got half way at the halfway mark we stopped and drank water so that we won't get dehydrated. I thought to myself
"Where is the end?" I was exhausted.. I have run 6 miles before but walking it is a whole different feeling. It was nice to see the scenery it was very relaxing. By the time our hike came to an end we saw BFree on the other side. We had to cross the river to get to the other side. We had been wet from the rain so to encounter water again was nothing. We crossed holding each other for support. Finally we are on BFree territory. Canti gave us a tour of all the facilities and showed us where we would be staying. 
We had some time to settle in and open our luggages to put things out and easy for us to access. Dinner was at 6:30pm so we stayed in our room and waited till it was time to go have dinner. I changed into something a little more dry and then layed down on the bed. Not even a minute has passed and I was knocked out on the bed. That 6 mile hike was exhausting, but so worth it. Around 3:30 to 4, Lia came to the bunk house to get us so that we can go have dinner and so that Heather (Executive Director) can give us the Health and safety 

regulations of BFree. Some of which were wearing sunscreen, drinking lots of water, always look down in case you step in an army of leaf cutter ants, always have your headlamp,etc. We had dinner and interacted with Heather, with some of the people who were there studying for other reasons and getting to know them a little better. After Dinner, Canti and some other girls from a different college were going on a Night Hike. We were going to the Blue Lagoon (was called Brown Lagoon, not sure why) to see if there were any crocodiles in the water. Mosquitos were flying everywhere and biting me all over the place as we were walking but what could I do I was new blood. I had on Long sleeves too they still managed to attack me. Hiking at night was a new experience for me I've never done it before and it was difficult to see things than I would in the daylight. That was the end of Day 3 it was a very interesting, eventful, wet, exercising day full of laughs and jokes with my group. 





Baljinder's Blog:

We all had planned the night before to wake up on a timely manner so that we could use the shower accordingly. I woke around 4 am to howling outside and wasn't really able to fall back asleep. I guess I slept enough. So I got up and got ready and one by one so did the rest of the group. We packed and were ready for breakfast by 7 am. We walked around by the cottages to see the roosters and birds chirping in the trees. 

The Sunrise.
 Walkiria and Canti
 The pathways.
 Plants.

 The rooster running awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Breakfast consisted of fresh squeezed orange juice, fresh fruit, tortilla bread, and lintels.


After breakfast Ernesto gave us a quick run on the importance of various trees in Belize that were related to the Mayan Culture. The Bay Leaf, the Cohune, the iron wood tree, and the Sacred tree.
Ernesto explaining and demonstrating the way thatch roofs are made and how the bay leaf splits evenly in half. This leaf is the most sturdiest leaf I've ever felt. Needless to say its good roofing material.


 Aurora giving us a tour on her medicinal plants and explained the importance of plants in our lives and how they can be used to rid of various illness, to gain energy, how they can produce rubber and chewing gum. Plants can be used for brushing your teeth, bathing, and cleaning purposes too.




Departing from the Maya Center and Aurora.



Aurora's good luck must have rubbed off on us because it was day three and the location Walkiria's traveling bag was found. It stopped traveling Belize and was in by the water taxi we would take to go to Placencia. That was the first stop after the Maya Center. Along the way the group and I would take pictures of all things foreign to us. After finally saying HELLO to Walkiria's bag we headed back into the taxi that was to take us  to the lumber yard right by the road to BFREE. We were to unload our luggage from the taxi and bid farewell to Philip our awesome driver, and load it in another vehicle destined to BFREE. Us humans were to participate in the six mile hike to BFREE with our guide Canti. We were able to experience nature first hand through this walk. We had already prepared before breakfast our backpacks with enough water, snacks and necessary equipment for the hike. Hiking boots were the number one priority. Little did we expect rain within the first 15 minutes of our hike. It came down like soothing rain until it started pouring and blew our minds away into the rain forest. But we hiked on like true rangers. From the Savannah reserves, to the transition zone. We were soaked in our first mile and had to trudge and slosh along the muddy path to BFREE, our destination. We sped up, slowed down, depending on how the mud treated us. It loved hugging our shoes. 
Starting our hike.
3 miles in.
 Walkiria hiking.



We talked, laughed, and learned along the path of the terrain. Dani started pointing out some interesting fiery rocks, and we all started collecting some foreign and familiar rocks and stones, such as limestone and slate. Before we knew it we were facing the Bladen River, which we were to cross by foot. We were already wet, so what did our already wet shoes have on us? After crossing the Bladen River we walked through the forest to find that our luggage had made it before us. We were to reside at the Bunk House for the next 5 days. 




After settling in, we were to report to the kitchen and dining hall where we were to meet Heather and have lunch. Heather is one of the coordinators of BFREE. She explained some of the safety cautions and rules. They were really helpful and made sense. One of the most important were that there are a lot of leaf cutter ants who tend to create paths which look like human made paths, so we had to be careful and be aware of our whereabouts. We also had to caution from stepping on these ants because they tend to bite. In general, we had to respectful to our environment. 


Shortly after this orientation, the girls, Professor Lia, and I went down to our rooms to grab the muddy and dirty clothes we wanted to wash and headed down to the river. Our shoes were beyond soaked.



Washing our clothes in the river. 

It was fun washing our own clothes, it reminded me of my culture and how people tend to do their own work. Once done, the group headed back to the rooms to hand the clothes on the drying line, right underneath the house. Exhausted from the days events, we showered and napped for less than an hour and then headed back towards the kitchen for dinner. 


At dinner we met every one else who was also visiting BFREE, Ken and a group of girls from an environmental program. We finally met Jacob the owner of BFREE, also our client, whom we were to design something for. He invited us to go onto a night hike,despite our long day Dani, Walkiria, and I tagged along after grabbing our head lamps and saying bye to Patricia and Prof. Lia.

During the hike we explored the part of BFREE's property that we did not yet step on. And got a chance to see crocodile eyes in the river nearby.


The hike was the last event of our adventurous day and we headed back to our rooms to go to sleep.




No comments:

Post a Comment